Frauenkirche (Church of Our Lady)
The Frauenkirche was built from 1352 to 1358 at the instigation of Emperor Karl IV. The oldest hall church in Franconia, it was constructed under the supervision of the master cathedral builder of Prague, Peter Parler. The church was originaly Protestant, but was taken over by the Catholics when Nuremberg fell to Bavaria in 1806.
Opening hours: Apr. – Sept. 9 a.m. – 8 p.m., Mar. & Oct. 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., Nov. – Feb. 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
The late Roman Church of St Sebald was built in the 13th century to honour St Sebald, the patron saint of Nuremberg.
The saint is buried here. The church became Lutheran in 1524, and is one of the most important Protestant places of worship.
Building work started on the Elisabethkirche in the second half of the 18th century and was not completed until 1903. This Catholic church with its large, distinctive dome is the only large Classical building in Nuremberg.
The Jakobskirche was once the official church of the Teutonic Order. It was built in the 14th and 15th centuries. Although it was destroyed in 1945, the building has now undergone an expensive restoration and today it once again houses numerous art treasures.
St. Lorenz Nuremberg
Opening hours: Mon. – Sat. 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sun. 1 – 4 p.m.
The construction of St Lorenz began in 1260 on the foundation walls of a Roman basilica and was completed in 1360.
It is very similar to its sister church St Sebald, on which it was modelled.
This is the only large baroque building in Nuremberg. It was built on the remains of a former Scottish monastery from 1711 onwards. St Egidius was the largest building project in Nuremberg in the 18th century.
Built between 1377 and 1395, this was the only historical church in Nuremberg that was not destroyed in World War Two. The attached St Johannis cemetery is one of the most cultural-historically important cemeteries in Europe. Albrecht Dürer is buried here.
St. Peter Nuremberg
It was endowed in 1440 by the patrician Gabriel Tetzel and was completed in 1470. St Peter’s was only slightly damaged in 1945 and still houses many impressive art treasures.
The 13th century Klarakirche belonged to the convent of the Sisters of St Mary Magdalene. After Nuremberg accepted the Reformation the convent was finally dissolved in 1596.
The bombings of 1945 left the Heilig-Kreuz-Kirche in ruins. It was originally endowed as a pilgrim’s hospital by the Nuremberg patrician Berthold Haller in 1352. It served as accommodation for pilgrims, beggars and cripples.