Opening hours: Apr. – Oct. Tues. – Sun. 10 a.m. – 4.30 p.m., Nov. – Mar. Tues. – Fri, 10 a.m. – 4.30 p.m.
The town hall was built between 1616 and 1622 and was the last large secular building in Nuremberg. The building is reminiscent of a Renaissance Italian palace.
The town hall was originally planned as a four-wing construction, but was not completed due to the threat of war and lack of money.
Congress Hall Nuremberg
The Congress Hall is one of the largest buildings constructed during the Nazi period and it documents the megalomania of the rulers of the time.
It was modelled on the Colosseum in Rome, but was never completed. The top floor and the self-supporting glass roof are missing.
The party conferences of the NSDAP were to take place here. With a capacity of 60,000 people it would have been the largest hall in the world.
Opening hours: Apr. – Sept. 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. & 12.45 – 5 p.m., Oct. – Mar. 9.30 a.m. – 12 p.m. & 12.45-4 p.m.
The castle – the major landmark of Nuremberg – is situated high above the city on a sandstone rock. It was built in several stages during the reign of the Staufer Kings and consists of an inner and an outer courtyard. The Sinwell Tower originates from the 12th century and served as a lookout tower. The “Fünfeck” Tower is the oldest structure in Nuremberg and is situated right next to the Imperial mews.
Palace of Justice
Guided tours: Sat. & Sun. at 1, 2, 3 and 4 p.m.
The building, constructed in 1916 in the style of the German Renaissance, was the location of a notorious special tribunal during the Nazi era. From 1945 – 1949 the so-called “Nuremberg Trials” of the criminals of the Nazi regime took place here. The main room is still used as a courtroom today.
Spitalgasse, am Hans-Sachs-Platz. The hospital was endowed by the Nuremberg merchant Konrad Groß in 1331 It served as lodging for the old and needy who, in return, had to pray for the soul of the benefactor several times a day. From 1424 to 1796 the Imperial Crown Jewels (crown, orb, sceptre) were kept here.
The Nassauer House is situated facing the Lorenzkirche. It is the only preserved medieval tower house and served as manor house and residence of an Imperial counsellor, it originates from the 12th and 13th centuries and and has been added to several times since then.
Opening hours: Tues. 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., Thurs. 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Sat. & Sun. 1 – 5 p.m.
The garden and summer residence of the Tucher family was built between 1533 and 1544 in the style of French Renaissance palaces.
The exhibition of art and furnishings belonging to the Tucher family shows the lifestyle of a Nuremberg patrician family.
The Weinstadel – one of the most beautiful half-timbered houses in Nuremberg – was built between 1446 and 1448 as a special infirmary for lepers.
From 1528 onwards lepers were banned from entering the city gates and the building was used as a storehouse for wine. Today the house is a student hall of residence.
For centuries the Zeughaus, built in 1588, was the weapons arsenal of the City of Nuremberg.
Only the splendid entrance gate remains today due to the destruction caused by the Second World War.
The Men’s Debtors Tower was built in 1323 during the construction of the penultimate city wall. Men who were unable to pay their debts were left to languish for years behind these walls.
The Kettensteg spansthe river Pegnitz on the western edge of the old town.
It was completed in 1824 and was the firs hanging bridge in Germany
The former manor house had already been demolished twice when it was rebuilt in 1569 by the patrician Jakob Imhoff. The palace was severely damaged once again in the Second World War and was significantly altered during the renovation. Today the palace which is surrounded by an artificial pond, contains a cultural meeting place.
Bei den Sieben Zeilen
The Max Gate, constructed in 1856, and a bridge formed the first connection between the old town and the northern city. Due to the increase in traffic the city moat was filled in and both the bridge and the gate were torn down. The remaining tower shows where the Max Gate once stood.
Hans Sachs (1494 – 1576) is Nuremberg’s most famous son after Albrecht Dürer. His poems and songs are still well-loved today. The monument, designed by Konrad Kraußer, was unveiled in 1874.
Opening hours: Daily 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Thurs. until 8 p.m., closed Mon.
This 15th Century house was acquired by Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528) in 1509. He lived here until his death in 1528. He also created his most important works here. Today the house contains a museum that provides an insight into the life and work of the artist.
Am Tiergärtnertorplatz A bronze sculpture by Jürgen Goertz showing the world-famous Dürer Hare has stood here since 1984. The work is to be interpreted as a provocation of Dürer’s work that has been reproduced millions of times.
Nuremberg City Wall
The first city wall in Nuremberg was built in the 12th century. Over time it was extended twice due to the increase in population. The last city wall was built between the middle and the end of the 14th century. This wall had 128 towers, approximately half of which are still standing. The most recent city wail is still in a good condition today and bears witness to Nuremberg’s status as a fortified city, which was maintained until 1866.
The Frauentor Tower – now known as the Königstor Tower – was built in 1388 during the last extension of the city wall. The Frauentor was the entrance gate of the trade route from Regensburg. Like many other towers, this one was originally square, but was rebuilt as a round tower after the margrave war of 1556 in order to give it better protection against artillery fire.
The Laufer Schlag Tower is one of the two remaining fortification towers of the penultimate city wall, the other being the “White Tower”. The sandstone tower with its thoroughfare was built just after 1250.
The Tiergärtner Gate clearly shows the development of the city fortifications. The lower part was built in the second half of the 13th Century. Originally the traffic to Frankfurt passed directly though the gate. The gate could not cope with the increase in traffic volume and so a new gate was constructed in the course of the extension of the city wall in 1545.
Like the Laufer Schlag Tower, this is one of the few remaining parts of the penultimate city fortifications. The tower was built in the mid 13th century, severely damaged in 1945 and reconstructed in 1977.